We are an intelligence, security and cyber agency with a mission to help keep the UK safe. Our purpose is to pioneer a new kind of security in this ever more complex world.
Our people use cutting-edge technology and their combined ingenuity to identify, analyse and disrupt threats to us all. We work closely with MI5, the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6), law enforcement, the military and international partners to counter real-world and online threats from a broad range of adversaries.
We are opening a new office in central Manchester; this new location will be fundamental to our mission, pulling on a wide mix of minds to create innovative and inventive solutions and enabling us to better identify and disrupt threats to the UK.
At its heart, GCHQ will always need to reinvent itself; transform its culture, ways of working and approach. The Transformation Team is at the heart of this evolution. We are responsible for preparing our whole workforce to meet the challenges of future change. We play an important role in building the momentum towards delivery of our Vision; developing coherent transformational foundations, embedding our values, and developing organisational behaviours.
Our central Manchester home presents many and varied challenges and opportunities. Our team needs to be ready to harness these to get the best out of our people and for maximum mission impact. Therefore, being comfortable challenging norms, self-starting, embracing a dynamic environment, and utilising your ability to quickly build strong relationships with others is going to be crucial.
You will be providing professional consultancy services to a wide range of people across the organisation in support of Director GCHQ’s transformation agenda, this will require you to build the necessary relationships, understand and establish the transformational requirement and increase levels of change maturity across our organisation, increasing our organisation’s capacity and capability as you go.
The role will involve the following:
• Learning new tools, techniques, the way our organisation ticks, the people around you
• Building strong consultancy relationships with clients
• Identifying and using appropriate professional change tools and techniques, including business analysis and behavioural change, to deliver quality solutions
• Building the capability of the Transformation Team, to enable the organisation to work differently in order to sustain change
• Potential for line management
We are looking for someone who can bring a unique perspective and local-knowledge to the team in central Manchester, ensuring that the city’s culture is infused in all aspects of our new home as it comes to life. Whilst possessing the professional skills below is desirable, of greater importance is attitude, the desire to learn, be creative, and having the enthusiasm, growth mind-set, and interpersonal skills to deliver in a fast-paced environment.
When we talk about opportunities, there are four priority areas that our team will be supporting and delivering in central Manchester:
1. Our people; creating a positive culture, overhauling recruitment methods, and establishing clear links between our people and the mission
2. Our technology; establishing the organisation as a key player within technology, whilst maximising our use of existing technologies, and creating an environment that better allows our teams to work collaboratively
3. Our tradecraft; launching new ways of working that enable common-good delivery, introduce and maintain professional discipline at the new site, and assess the capacity and resources needed for further capability uplift
4. Our partnerships; make the most of our position in central Manchester, find and utilise more partnering opportunities with industry and academia, and create connections there and in the surrounding area that further assist in the pursuit of the mission
We value your previous work experience, and we embrace diversity of thought in the team. We want to invest in you, helping you fulfil your own potential. As a member of our team, you will have direct exposure to leadership and senior change sponsors and will gain an in-depth understanding of the drivers for transformational change across the department.
In terms of professional and personal skills, the following are desirable:
• Confident working with ambiguity
• Some understanding, experience, and application of any of change management principles, behavioural change, business analysis or Lean Startup would be an advantage, however, training will be provided
• The ability to facilitate learning conversations with leaders
If you’re excited about working with us and think you have some of what we’re looking for but aren’t sure if you’re 100% there yet… back yourself in and give it a go!
Working with and Leading Others – Higher
Contribution to Delivery – Higher
Managing the Customer Relationship – Higher
Corporate Vision and Efficiency – Intermediate
Change and Innovation – Higher
Analysis and Decision Making – Intermediate
Communications and Knowledge Sharing – Higher
Further information on the competencies can be found here
At GCHQ we’re proud of our inclusive and supportive working environment that’s designed to encourage open minds and attitudes. As an organisation that values and nurtures talent, we’re committed to helping you fulfil your potential. With comprehensive training and development opportunities, tailored to your needs and the requirements of your work, we’ll enable you to flourish in your role and perform to the very best of your abilities.
As one of Britain’s intelligence agencies, we unlock the complex world of communications to keep our nation safe. We work closely with MI5 and MI6, our partners in the intelligence community, to safeguard Britain’s people, interests and businesses from various threats. Think cyber-attacks, espionage, terrorism, and organised crime. It’s challenging, varied and meaningful work that you simply won’t find anywhere else.
To apply for this position, you must meet our nationality, residency and security requirements. You’ll find more details here.
As users of the disability confident scheme, we also guarantee to interview all disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for our roles.
Once we’ve established that you meet our eligibility criteria, the next steps of this selection process are:
– Application evaluation and sift
– Personal interview*
– Drug Test
*Interviews will be held in Manchester
A DV is required for this role.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 12th November 2019, however if we receive the amount of applications required we may close the vacancy early. Applicants are encouraged to apply promptly to avoid disappointment. We reserve the right to close the advert early.